Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What’s for dinner?

In preparation for our trip to America, I am getting together a collection of our favorite recipes. You see, we are going to be doing the cooking. It was my secret plan in fact. First of all, my parents cannot cook. It’s OK with my mom. She knows she can’t really cook excluding a few tried and true dishes and would happily give up kitchen duty to anyone…except to my father. My father cannot cook either and if ignorance is bliss then he is blissfully unaware of that fact. I used the excuse that Rosie has some food allergies and so on. We are good to go.
Another reason we want to do the cooking is that we are a cook-from-scratch family. I don’t like food (or rather food-like products) that comes in an envelope or a cube. I like ingredients! I wonder how successful we will be at winning my parents over to our way of thinking?
Ok, enough food talk for now…here are some more of my ramblings about the differences between food consumption in America and in Poland. Smacznego.

6 comments:

Stardust said...

For almost 28 years of living in America I am still cook-from-scratch person, and that will never change. The only thing I buy prepared is tomato sauce and beans in cans:) The rest I made it. I don't understand how people eat all this packages and envelopes:)))

Stardust said...

Ups, I buy pasta of course:)
You'll be fine, I'm just sorry, there is no trip to NYC on schedule:(

ds said...

I want to know your favorite recipes! I mean I would like. very much. please. s'il vous plait madame.

Kasiu said...

I moved in to Belgium,
you can't imagine how surprised I was when I saw my boyfriend's mother putting ketchup to her home made tomato sauce.
In Poland I was eating everything fresh made. Here? Ready to eat lasagna, pizza and other frozen stuff..
Fortunately it has changed because we have moved out from his mother :) Now I can learn how to prepare everything from scratches.

Greetings from Brussels :)

Chris said...

Star - I'm glad to hear that they can take a girl out of Poland but can't take Poland out of the girl ;) I think my re-introduction to American grocery shopping will take about a week and then I'll be cooking like an old pro. I, too, am sorry that NYC is not on the itinerary.

ds - Most of my favorie recipes are for cakes. I don't like box cakes. I'm sure you have some pretty good French recipes yourself madame ;)

czarry-marry- Greetings to you in Belgium. Your comment reminded me of one of my students (a lawyer) who went to London for a summer English course. He decided to try a home-stay rather than dorm to learn as much English as possible. For his first family dinner, they served pizza, fries and chicken nuggets shaped like dinosaurs with some brown sauce. And rather than eating in the dining room, they ate from little trays on their laps in the living room. Smacznego!

Marek Cyzio said...

I just want to point out the fact, that "food in boxes and envelopes" is not produced out of crude oil, but also from natural ingredients. Sometimes more natural than what you buy in grocery stores. And sometimes with less chemicals than you add when cooking - for example Polish favorite spice - Vegeta contains large quantities of the ugly monosodium glutamate.